As I was perusing around Facebook I came across this most amazing article. By coincidence, a day later my Aunt sent it to me. As I re-read it, I realized that all of these items really hit home for me and is honest to goodness common sense.
I just wanted to share this wealth of information with you and hope you can take something away from it to enrich your own life.
You Only Live Once
1. Watch your figure closely, because if you don’t take the time to do so, nobody else will. Watch what you eat and exercise. And know how to dress your figure!
2. Avoid spending time with people who complain about how old they feel. They will just pull you right down with them and make you feel old too. Instead, surround yourself with people who feel and act young, both inside and out. Only keep the company of positive and enlightening folks.
3. Exercise every day, no matter how tired or lazy you feel. Just moving around will make you forget about how tired you are, and pretty soon, you’ll have more energy to do all of the fun things you truly want to do. Play golf, play tennis, swim, dance or walk everyday of your life.
4. Travel whenever you are able. Seeing the world and discovering how other people live adds life, love and lucidity to your years. Traveling abroad to fabulous and exotic places on a moment’s notice.
5. Take the time to plan wonderful things for the future, this will give you something to look forward to and make you feel hopeful. A trip, a restaurant, a walk in the park, anything that makes your spirit soar.
6. Be extravagant once in awhile. Whether its eating a decadent piece of chocolate cake, wearing something much too sexy for your own good, or dining at a very expensive restaurant once a year—this can make you feel both happy and young. Eat dark chocolate, wear that mini skirt, put on your red lipstick, push the boundaries of your life.
7. On a daily basis, eat whatever you want, drink what you want, and say what you want, but all with a degree of moderation. Enjoy a martini, and enjoy the beauty and rapture of the life that surrounds you.
8. Flirt with life—not just with men and women, but with all of what life has to offer. This will make you feel young, hopeful and excited to get out of bed every day.
9. Surround yourself with lively, smart, fun and interesting people who adore being around you, don’t settle for anything or anyone else. Life is too short to be around a bunch of duds. lol.
10. Be spontaneous. When you do something out of the ordinary and on barely a moment’s notice, this can make you feel alive and young. Take unexpected trips and excursions to the beach. Always go to the beach. The negative ions that come from the water literally have the power to pull the negative energy out of your body and help renew your soul. In my opinion that is why most people find the beach very therapeutic and relaxing. Helps to calm the nervous system.
11. Don’t ever feel sorry about yourself. It is a waste of time and a waste of your life. And it also bores people to tears. Never complain about your life. We are lucky to be alive.
12. Take the time to be beautiful. You can’t feel both depressed and fabulous at the same time. I find this to be particular true. Do your hair, get your mani pedi as needed, put on your make up and be dressed for the day. Don’t just throw something on. Show respect for yourself and be the best you can be at that given moment.
13. Treat yourself regularly to wonderful little things, especially if they seem unnecessary and frivolous. This will remind you that you are wonderful and when you feel wonderful, you just feel better. Treat yourself to those new shoes, cozy up under a blanket and read a book by the fireplace on a rainy afternoon. Indulge in the little things in life. Those tend to be the most memorable.
14. Never say or think that you are “too old” to do anything. This is a self-fulfilling prophecy, you are only as old as you make up your mind to be. Volunteer yourself to keep trying new things to keep yourself youthful. Be non-complacent, non-comformitive. Be your true authentic self no matter what the takes.
15. Live the way that you feel your real age to be, not what others tell you. If you feel 16, keep that energy up and you will feel like a teenager for as long as you are willing. People around you will feel the positive youthful energy you put out and you will attract like minded people to surround yourself with.
16. Every morning when you wake up, tell yourself you are a beautiful and wonderful person while you look straight into the mirror. I did this the other day. I repeated it to myself when I was feeling blue, and it actually worked 🙂
17. Read a lot of history, it will teach you a lot about what other people have gone through and their stories will inspire you. It will give you perspective about how good you really have it right now. I really like this. It makes a lot of sense. And you can learn so much from other peoples stories.
18. As soon as a negative thought comes into your mind, make a habit of replacing it with a joke, a humorous anecdote, watch a funny film, or call a positive friend. I have made funny anecdotes in regards to situations that I find challenging. It made me laugh so hard i had tears streaming down my face. Now every time I think of that particular “challenging” situation, I just smile to myself.
19. Whether you’re a man or a woman, never sit around all day in your bedclothes. Get dressed, brush your hair, spiff yourself up and be ready for the Queen of England if she happens to stop by. Get ready for the day. Have integrity in your appearance. This will being you confidence within yourself.
20. Pay attention to children because they know how to be happy, young and carefree. Children are the worlds gift because they are so filled with purity and that purity is the essence that is necessary for us to keep within ourselves in order to have a happy self fulfilling life. I also find that dogs can have the same effect. My dog is living in the moment and carefree and filled with love and joy all the time. Reminds me how the simplicity of life makes me the happiest.
I tweaked this article with my own thoughts attached to it. I just loved it so much I had to share it.
The original article can be found here:http://www.elephantjournal.com/2013/02/how-to-stay-young-hot-forever-advice-from-a-96-year-old-grandma/
By a wonderful writer named Francesca Biller….Thank you for sharing this beautiful story about your Grandmother.